Rice Krispie treats are so simple, and yet so, so good. Have you ever met anyone who said they didn’t like them? And yet, all Rice Krispie treats are not created equal. You know how you have some that are just amazing and others that are just OK. After lots and lots of Rice Krispie treat “research,” I have stumbled on four secrets that will make your Rice Krispie treats the best on the block.
- Use Real Butter – Sure, you’ll find many a recipe that says “butter or margarine,” but you’re just not going to get the same taste from margarine. Only real butter will give you the rich taste that will make your Rice Krispie treats the best.
- Salt – While the official recipe doesn’t call for it, a generous pinch of salt in your Rice Krispie Treats will balance out the sweetness nicely and give them a little extra something.
- Extra marshmallows - That’s right. This is the biggest secret of all. Stir some extra marshmallows into the mixture when you add the cereal, and you’ll end up with chunks of extra marshmallow-y goodness in your Rice Krispie treats.
- Sprinkles - Put sprinkles on the top of your Rice Krispie treats. Because, sprinkles. Sprinkles, sprinkles, sprinkles. Sprinkles make everything better.
Here’s the basic recipe, along with my “secret” alterations.
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1½ 10-ounce bags mini marshmallows
- Generous pinch of salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- Grease a 13x9 inch pan.
- Combine butter and 1 bag of the marshmallows in a large pan over medium heat. Stir constantly until everything is melted and combined.
- Turn off stove.
- Stir salt into marshmallow/butter mixture.
- Add the remaining ½ bag of mini marshmallows and the Rice Krispies. Stir well until everything is coated.
- Press into greased 13x9 pan.
- Press sprinkles into the top of the treats.
- Allow to cool and set before slicing.